Sunday, February 7, 2016

F.E.A.R. Diary - Part 2 - The End Game

To think that I wouldn't have revisited this game if it weren't for a defective motherboard...

I finished F.E.A.R today, and I thought the ending was quite excellent. It ends on a real cliff hanger. They set up the sequel quite well. Its a shame that F.E.A.R 2 doesn't have the same PC focused design. I played the demo a long time ago, and I remember it being some what like Call of Duty. I could be wrong.I am not going to install it any time soon. I have Grand Theft Auto 4, Need For Speed Shift 2 and Dying Light to finish.

I think as soon as I finish those games, I will go with the expansion packs. I remember playing the demos a long time ago, and it would be fun to revisit those games again.

There is a frame rate bug that affects the game. At start, the frame rate is maxed out at 144 FPS, which is the refresh rate of the monitor, but after a while, it drops down to around 50 FPS. This is a known bug with the game, and the fix is to disable HID compliant devices in Windows. I didn't believe this at first, but sure enough, it works.

Disabling these devices will fix the frame rate issue


Another thing about the game is the level design. I've yet to play a game which had such bland levels. I can't recollect a single level that was memorable. Not a deal breaker, but with the entire game being set in a huge industrial compound, the map can be very boring. It does get a little bit better towards the end, but for the most part, its kind of boring.

I think this game stands above the rest of the horror games because the scares are very subtle. I enjoy that in a horror game, more so than jump scares, which can get really old.


Nailed to the wall

Alienware in F.E.A.R
Towards the end, it reminded me a lot about Half-Life, specifically the beginning of Half-Life.

Also, sprint and aim down sight (ADS) are very weird compared to modern games. Sprint feels more like walking, and ADS reminds me of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games. The weapon is only sightly pulled up, and initially I couldn't tell the difference between ADS and non-ADS.

All in all, great game, totally worth the $2.99 I paid for the bundle.

No comments:

Post a Comment